2008-10-04

Day's End: Melbourne Day 2 + Singapore Day 2008

Ok...photos first.

If you wanna see photos from Singapore Day only:

Singapore Day 2008 - Melbourne


Or just everything on Day 2:

Melbourne 2008 - Day 2


Was so tired last night that I didn't have the energy to write a summary of the day.
There are so many things to write about.
Singapore Day
Dinner alone
Walking the streets of Melbourne
WOW!!!

The photos don't really do justice to the whole day at all.
I got videos of the performers at Singapore Day but I'll get those uploaded somehow later.

So what happened?
Firstly...woke up from a terrible sleep but at least it was early enough to have an hour to 'reset' before having to leave for Singapore Day.
The streets were filled with the sound of Singlish...all the way from the city to the park where the event was held. It felt so surreal among all the Singaporeans.
Gavin was there 10 mins before me so I conveniently joined him in line, and just moments after that...the crowds came in.
The line doubled within 10 mins and tripled within 20. It was insane. Lucky us for joining the line just in the nick of time.

After another group of Gavin's friends joined us...we got past the registration booth, collected the goodie bags and headed straight for the food...WOOHOO!!!
But guess what...ALL the lines were already packed with people. We went straight for the Bak Kut Teh because for some odd reason...it was empty...and we were hungry...beggars can't be choosers.

The rest of the day was spent in the sun (which made me sunburnt...OUCH) watching the performances. The rest of Gavin's friends had more food but I didn't really get anything else to eat till around 3.30 when I couldn't take the hunger anymore and attempted to line up at the Nasi Lemak stall.
That was when I met Kenneth and Cherry...actually...they spotted me in the line.
We chatted for a bit and Kenneth suggested that I check out this Shanghai Dumplings place in Chinatown for dinner since I was flying solo for the night; Gavin had an OFFICIAL event to attend...hahahaha.
Not to bore with details of the whole event...some highlights of my favorite parts of the day were Phua Chu Kang's appearance, the PCK family , minus Chu Beng, in a skit about going back to SG (propaganda at work) and Dick Lee showing up at the end.
WOOHOO!!! Fried Rice Paradise!!! :P

Went back to the hotel for a short rest and finally dragged myself out at around 8.45 for dinner. Amazing that all the makan places were still open and at full steam so late into the night. Stupid Brisbane and its early closing hours. :(
I picked up a small bag of Roasted Chestnuts (why don't they have this in Brissy???) from a streetside vendor and went ahead towards Chinatown.

Found the Shanghai Dumplings place and TRUST ME...WOW...BEST...SOLID...SEDAP...I dunno what else to say.
I had the pork dumplings plus a bowl of noodles in spicy sauce...BEST!
Topped it off with a serve of Red Bean Pancakes...that one not nice. Had one piece and left the rest there...didn't even tabao.

Took a loooooooooong stroll around the city to walk off dinner.
Some of the 'adventures' were, stopping to take a good long look at Bourke Street Mall (you know I have never walked down the mall and still won't at the end of this trip), contemplated buying something from a place named "Lord of the Fries"...lucky I didn't, and finally getting an ice cold bottle of cider at the pub below the hotel.

Went to bed after setting the clocks an hour ahead (stupid daylight savings...make me lose 1 hr of my holiday) to get ready for another day of walking walking walking.
That's a story for later and it has already gotten interesting.
Spoilers:
Stupid cab drivers
Coolest Cathedral
Solid Lunch
and finally...CHOC HEAVEN!!!!

No comments: